Oct 8, 2018

Article #3 in a Series >>>>> Departments and Offices of the Minneapolis Public Schools >>>>> Department of Special Education


As I complete the advanced final draft of my new book, Understanding the Minneapolis Public Schools:  Current Condition, Future Prospect, I am conducting a final review for updating mission statements and staff composition.  I have in the last days and weeks listed and made comments on many offices and departments, with an emphasis on staff members and effectiveness.  In the current series of articles I will be emphasizing departmental function and mission statements, but I will give staff listing updates as I deem useful to my readers and will give staff composition in cases for which I have not previously done so.

 

Here I give information for the MPS Special Education Department, drawn from the pertinent portal on the MPS website (I will be seeking a full staff listing;  only Rochelle Cox, Executive Director of Special Education and Health Services, is listed on the MPS website): 

 

Rochelle Cox, Executive Director of Special Education and Health Services

 

Minneapolis Public Schools offers a wide-range of Special Education programs and services.

 

To receive special education services, a student must first be evaluated and meet state criteria. Once qualified, an Individual Education Plan (IEP) is developed for the student. Programs and services are provided to students and their families beginning at birth through age 21 or completion of a secondary education program. Special education is also available for students who live in Minneapolis that attend nonpublic schools.

 

Mission Statement


The special education department is relentlessly focused on students receiving individualized services and equitable instruction in their least restrictive environment. We are committed to educational evaluations and services that are not predicted by a student’s race.

No comments:

Post a Comment