Jan 28, 2017

The Rigorous College Preparatory Program of the New Salem Educational Initiative >>>>> Providing an Excellent Education to Students from Challenging Circumstances


In my program, the New Salem Educational Initiative, I provide an excellent education to young people from extraordinarily challenging economic circumstances:

 

For twenty-three years I have directed and taught in the Tuesday Tutoring Program of New Salem Missionary Baptist Church;

 

and for twelve years I have directed and personally provided all of the academic instruction in a seven-day-a-week program for students who gather with me in groups ranging from one to five participants.

 

Ever since I stepped into a classroom forty-three years ago, I have had boundless faith in the potential of students of all demographic descriptors to respond to the highest academic challenges, posed in an environment that radiates my confidence and conveys in no uncertain terms my love for the young people whose futures I regard as my personal responsibility.

 

As my regular followers and readers know, I am now nearing completion of two books (I have written eight books previously, most of them on Amazon, three of them on Taiwan found in libraries and government agencies all over the world):

 

One of these two new books,  Fundamentals of an Excellent Liberal Arts Education,  provides the excellent education for which I advocate, delivering compact courses over fourteen chapters pertinent to economics, psychology, political science, world religions, world history, America history, African American history, English Usage, literature, fine arts, mathematics, biology, chemistry, and physics;

the other book, Understanding the Minneapolis Public Schools:  Current Condition, Future Prospect, proceeds in three parts giving, in order, objective information regarding the inner workings of the Minneapolis Public Schools,  analysis of that information, and a philosophy that should guide the school district toward a promising future.

 

The latter book ultimately reveals the flaws of the Minneapolis Public Schools and indicates a route to transformation;  the former book provides a curricular model that should guide the Minneapolis Public Schools in the future.

 

As you scroll on down this blog, you will find an exam that I have generated for the Psychology chapter   of Fundamentals of an Excellent Liberal Arts Education.  This is the type of exam that I will devise for all fourteen of the chapters in that book.  I have three students who recently concluded their study of the  Psychology chapter and now are poised to take the exam.  I always model good performance on exams and writing assignments for my students:  I believe passionately in the importance of my being an exemplar of what I expect from them.

 

Accordingly, my students presently concluding their study of the Psychology chapter, will now take the exam.

 

Then I will go over my own responses with them, so that they can see clearly any flaws in their own responses and how they should meet my expectations.  As we go over those responses, I will provide any further explanation necessary for these students to gain full knowledge of the key concepts that we have already covered in the chapter and that I now expect on the exam.  I stress to my students that they need not and should not reproduce my words.  But they should demonstrate firm knowledge of the subject area and an ability to analyze the material.  Any exams for which near perfect understanding is not yet demonstrated will be retaken and discussed until such an understanding is attained.

 

Further, we will return to the material many times, as we integrate our knowledge into other subject areas of study.

 

I emphasize to my students that knowledge is forever;  information learned should be information retained.

 

As you scroll on down, you will now have your own opportunity to take the Psychology exam.

 

For you, who have not read the Psychology chapter from Fundamentals of an Excellent Liberal Arts Education, this will be your opportunity to test your own existing knowledge.

 

You’ll be testing your own performance against young people who wake up to gunshots in the night, whose families scramble to put food on the table and meet this month’s rent.

 

After you’ve taken the exam, scroll on down to the next entry, at which I provide my own responses to the questions posed on the Psychology exam of my own composition.

 

Good luck.

 

 

 

               

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment