Nov 16, 2016

Thoughts on the Application of Grassroots Organization Espoused by Keith Ellison to a Matter Over Which Neither He Nor His Endorser Elizabeth Warren Have Much Policy Control--- The Overhaul of K-12 Education

I received this message given as you scroll on down, below, noting Elizabeth Warren's endorsement of Keith Ellison for Chair of the Democratic National Committee (DNC).  These two Democrats will be hugely important in the years ahead.  As we look toward the 2020 presidential campaign, Warren will be among those likely to seek the Democratic nomination.  I also consider Minnesota's own Amy Klobuchar a likely contestant for that nomination.  And I personally think that Michelle Obama is such a keen intellect, gifted speaker, and knowledgeable policy advocate that those qualities will of their own force impel her forward as a candidate.  In my view, Keith Ellison will be an excellent DNC chair and either stay in that role through the 2020 campaign or himself become a vice-presidential candidate should one of the above emerge with the Democratic nomination.


I first met Keith Ellison at the behest of my friend, Bobby Joe Champion, who took me along to a meeting of a group that back in the late 1990s periodically congregated under the appellation, Young African American Future Leaders of Minnesota.  Jeff Hayden was also in attendance.  In fulfillment of the prescient prediction embedded in the name of the organization, Champion is now in the Minnesota State House of Representatives, Hayden is in the Minnesota State Senate, and Ellison is one of eight members from Minnesota in the United States House of Representatives.


In the autumn of 2008 I interviewed Ellison as I was conducting the research for the latter of my two books written for the Minneapolis Urban League (State of African Americans in Minnesota 2004 and State of African Americans in Minnesota 2008) when my friend Clarence Hightower was President & CEO of that organization.  Recently, I had a chance to exchange ideas on education with Ellison outside the offices of the Davis Center housing the central offices of the Minneapolis Public Schools (MPS).  I gave a scathing critique of the current academic performance and philosophical direction of MPS and emphasized the importance of knowledge-intensive education along the lines articulated by E. D. Hirsch at the Core Knowledge Foundation.


But as I have written many times, truly important decision-making and policy implementation regarding K-12 education takes place at the level of the locally centralized school district.  As you read Warren's endorsement of Ellison for DNC chair and then consider Ellison's own comments on the importance of grassroots organizing, understand that grassroots organizing for education will take place at the level of the locally centralized school district. 


With platforms in place in the form of this blog, a television show, academic journal, public speaking venues, two new books in advanced draft stage--- and with a seven-day program of academic instruction for students in Minneapolis (especially the Northside)---  my activism is now in swift motion upon my conviction regarding the importance of the locally centralized school district.


My next move is to call upon more of you to join me.


Please think about this as you ponder the following words from Elizabeth Warren and Keith Ellison:


From Elizabeth Warren >>>>>


Keith and I have had the chance to work together many times over the past several years. I’ve watched up close as he has pushed hard to try to hold Wall Street accountable through his work on House Financial Services, and he has consistently exercised bold leadership for the Congressional Progressive Caucus. I admire Keith’s values, his grit, and his dedication to making this country work not just for some of our kids but for all of them. I’m proud to support his candidacy for Chair of the Democratic National Committee." -Senator Elizabeth Warren


From Keith Ellison   >>>>>


Democrats win when we harness the power of everyday people and fight for the issues they care about. This election cycle, we did not motivate enough people to the ballot box. Voter turnout hit a 20-year low for presidential elections, following a 70-year voter turnout low in 2014. We must champion the challenges of working families and give voters a reason to show up at the polls in 2018 and beyond.


That is why I am announcing my candidacy to be the next Chair of the Democratic National Committee. Our Party is at its best when people across the country – rank and file DNC members, state chairs and vice chairs, county and local leaders, state legislators, governors, congressional leaders and activists have an active voice. As a former state legislator, I know that elections are won and lost on the ground in the states, not in DC. As DNC chair I will invest in and empower our state and local parties by creating effective field operations, by maximizing access to an enhanced and advanced voter file, and by promoting collaboration between candidates at every level.


Most importantly, I want to be the Chair who brings all Democrats together around our shared values. Growing up in Detroit, Michigan I saw firsthand how families and communities were devastated by job losses. We must reclaim our history as the Party that stands with working people. I want to re-energize our broad and diverse Democratic coalition and I want to make sure all are represented across our staff and leadership. We will never stop fighting attempts by the Trump White House and Republican-controlled states to roll back affordable health care, worker wages and protections, and a woman's right to choose. We will stand strong against efforts to divide or marginalize our friends and family by race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.


In the spirit of a great Democratic leader from Minnesota, Senator Paul Wellstone, I believe that “politics is the art of the possible, and organizing is the art of making more possible.” I believe I have the vision, track record, and work ethic required to be your next DNC Chair. I hope you will add your name and join our campaign today.


Our Party is right. Our values are just. Our future relies on grassroots organizing and an agenda that improves people’s lives throughout our country. In solidarity, Keith Ellison Authorized and Paid for by Ellison for Congress.

No comments:

Post a Comment