May 26, 2020

Tuesday, 26 May, Chapter Two, “The Powerful Impact of Southern Methodist University,” >>>>> >A Teacher’s Journey from Southern Methodist University to North Minneapolis: Foundations for Overhaul of the Minneapolis Public Schools< >>>>> A Memoir >>>>> Gary Marvin Davison


“Hey, Brainy-Beautiful,” I said to Shari Wheeler, the young woman I’d been dating for quite a few weeks during my junior year at Southern Methodist. 

 

Shari was both of those alliterative appellations, a lightning quick conversationalist who would entertain any subject, destined to be an English teacher like her mother and a principal like her father;  and a dark beauty for whom a slight gap in between her two front teeth accented the quirky quality that gave added appeal.

 

“Hey, yourself---  Gary, this is Barbara Reed---  you know, my roommate.”

 

I looked at the young woman standing at Shari’s side on the steps of SMU Student Union.  I think I kept my cool.  I remember smiling with fair nonchalance and having a few brief moments of conversation with these two sophomore sponsors in Snyder Hall, on the women’s quadrangle just across from the Student Union.

 

However much cool I kept and however I managed to maintain insouciant conversation, I may have set a Guinness world record for being mesmerized while smiling nonchalantly and talking casually.  The sight before my eyes was unlike any woman I’d ever had the good fortune to have loom into my visual scope:

 

Barbara was dark blond, fair, about the same 5 feet, six inches as Shari.  The month was February.  She was wearing a nice gray coat with outfit that matched.  She had a stunningly gorgeous face and widely spaced blue eyes that communicated the real difference, the quality that set her apart. 

 

Shari was a mighty great date, with a personality and intelligence that in the manner of a collegiate junior had me at least contemplating what a future with her might be like.  But that was not to be, and could not have been.  Within a couple of months, our semi-serious relationship was over in the romantic sense.  I would later learn from Barbara that as spring 1972 moved on, Shari would increasingly return to their room and answer Barbara’s “How’d it go?” query with,

 

“Oh, you, know---  We talked about the meaning of life again.”

 

And here I thought I was such a humorous lad.  But my philosophical speculations and searing criticism of humanity at SMU and beyond had apparently grown wearisome to Ms. Wheeler of Anahuac, Texas.     

 

I went through another semi-serious relationship that spring with a person who had many of the liberal Christian views on ethics and community commitment as did I.  Like myself, Jane Bockus participated in Religious Life, the liberal (distinct, therefore, from Campus Crusade for Christ and such) Christian group led by assistant chaplain Robert (Bob) O. Cooper.  Jane had more enthusiasm for the philosophical ruminations that eventually wore Shari out;  we had many a super conversation amidst fun and inspiring times on the weekend meetings, barbecues, and camp retreats led by Bob.

 

But when Barbara and I reconnected at late spring, having found out that we were to be paired as Residential Advisers (RA’s) supervising first year students in SMU’s Living and Learning program, I knew my life had taken on a dimension that I had not really thought possible.

 

By my last two years at SMU, I was set on moving to Harlem after graduation and ensconcing myself in an Up the Down Staircase situation, striving nobly to bring high quality education against obstacles of manifold sort.  The fundamental vision would remain but the locale would shift. 

 

Barbara changed the details of my plans.

 

……………………………………………………………………………

 

I have reflected many times how that first meeting with Barbara on the stair steps leading up to the Student Union was predictive of the wondrous reality that became my life.

 

Shari and Jane were both super young women who were may cuts above the smart but superficial, fashion and society conscious, sorority types that were replete at the university.  The Greek system, to which I had an ever so brief introduction, was a big thing at Southern Methodist.  I assessed the values and time expenditure descriptive of those in sororities and fraternities and made a quick exit from Lambda Chi Alpha after only two months of membership in the spring of my first year at the university.  I turned decidedly anti-Greek and mostly held aloof from the sorority types, considering the time given to associated activities and high-society values to be at odds with my experiences in Volunteer Services, at Pinkston, with Rex, on those Religious Life retreats, my burgeoning academic interests, and my commitment to political and social activism.  Aside from Shari and Jane, my dates tended to be one or two-timers, enjoyable but transitory.  I came to doubt that anyone would meet my exacting and highly particular standards or anyway induce a detour from Harlem.       

 

But Barbara induced a detour that sustained my presence in West Dallas longer than I had planned and then as matters developed turned by focus to at-risk student populations not very close to Harlem---  eventually to North Minneapolis.

 

……………………………………………………………………………….

 

Because behind those beautiful blues eyes on the stairs that led symbolically as well as tangibly to the Union was an intelligence and a soul that I read in the moment and with which I would unite eternally.

 

In that first instantaneous mesmerization I knew that I was peering into a unity of brain and body and  countenance and soul that was an exaltation of humanity never thrust so fortuitously into my personal sphere before.  Most likely, in the absence of that meeting my journey on this one earthly sojourn would have been singly lived.  My life would have been well-lived and directed much the same as has been the case, however different in geographical focus.

 

But Barbara was Destiny, she who incalculably magnified the magnificence of the Journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment