May 19, 2020

Tuesday, 19 May, Continuation of Chapter One, “Childhood Epiphanies,” >>>>> >A Teacher’s Journey from Southern Methodist University to North Minneapolis: Foundations for Overhaul of the Minneapolis Public Schools< >>>>> A Memoir >>>>> Gary Marvin Davison


I resist the temptation to over-glorify people and institutions of childhood memory.  My experience at Dan D. Rogers was not without fault.  But I do reflect upon my five years of attendance favorably;  given what I now know, I conclude that this was one of those schools that


 

1)  was not as yet ruined by the intellectual corruption that had been emanating from Teacher’s College of Columbia University since the 1920s;  and

 

2)  was a very good to excellent school of the curricular and pedagogical type that prevailed until such ruination set in.

 

I had excellent phonics instruction.  I knew that parts of speech and fundamental rules of punctuation and grammar.  I could carry and borrow (regroup) respectively in addition and subtraction.  I knew my multiplication tables by the end of third grade and in the course of that academic year fully mastered the now long-lost art of multi-digit division.  Via specialized mathematics courses at grade 4 and 5, I gained a very strong grip on fundamentals of fractions, decimals, and percentages;  and interpretation of charts, tables, and graphs.  I could write a well-structured essay and give a speech.  As early as grade 2, I was required to report on a news article each week.  We studied the major Native American groups, European explorers, the founders.  We had regular book fairs and made frequent trips to the school library:  A biography that I read of Apache warrior Geronimo is especially memorable.  I remember that a very demanding English teacher in grade 4  introduced us to Robert Louis Stevenson, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and Emily Dickenson;  there was no Langston Hughes or Countee Cullen in the curriculum, poetic quality abided.

 

For my grades 6-7 years and half of my grade 8 year, my family lived away from Texas, first to suburban St. Louis, for just half an academic year, then for 24 months in Little Rock, Arkansas.  I remember the beginning of grade 6 in Missouri as being good enough;  but a choir performance at Christmas and a week-long school trip to a campsite replete with opportunities for learning archery and the art of fire-building made more of an impression on me than did any classroom-based academic quality that might have rivaled Dan D. 

 

For the last half of my grade 6 year, I attended Williams Elementary in Little Rock, Arkansas;  moving then for one and one-half academic year to Forest Heights Junior High School.  I enjoyed my experience at Williams but noticed that students were well behind my own academic level.  Remarkably, on a given day in spring 1963 I was the only student in the class who knew that the contraction, “let’s,” was a short form of “let us.”  

 

Instruction at Forest Heights was erratic.  The one truly stellar class that I had was honors grade 8 math;  even though “new math” was beginning to creep in, and my teacher was up to speed, she was also magnificently old-school, so that my skill with fractions, decimals, and percentages developed apace;  and I got a first-rate introduction to order of operations, algebraic equations, and various applications of geometry.  We also had a super choir instructor, upon reflection almost certainly gay and discontented with his paycheck---  but despite the latter, our cheerful conveyor of a love for the Great American Songbook and Broadway hit tunes, from which many such as the following have forever lodged in my memory and now rolling down I-35 in Minnesota come tumbling out of my mouth:

 

Let there be peace on earth

and let it begin with me;

 

and

 

When you walk through a storm,

keep your head up high,

and don’t be a afraid of the dark,  

for at the end of the storm,

there’s a golden light,

and the sweet, gentle song

of the lark.

 

My grade seven English teacher was solid, so that the skills that I had been accumulating and the literature to which I was privy kept me on a promising track of development in English usage and literature.  Science instruction was lousy.  Industrial arts was good.  Geography was fine.  On balance, teacher quality was mediocre but the curriculum was still ambitious, and my vision of what constitutes an excellent education continued to be fortified with strong knowledge and skills sets.

 

At mid-grade 8 the family moved back to Texas, not to Dallas but rather to the Memorial area of suburban Houston.  In grade 8, I had excellent opportunities in a speech class and tournament, for the latter of which I performed Patrick Henry’s “Give Me Liberty” speech.  I had mediocre general science and United States history classes;  but the curriculum was strong and the textbooks informative, so again the vision of knowledge as the core of education remained firm.  My English teacher at Memorial Junior High (thus bearing the older middle-grades classification connoting anticipation of high school, but in fact having adopted the grade 6-8 scheme) struck me as a brilliant guy who considered his post as a waystation for his own authorial ambitions and considered most students in the class dullards;  however, he took a liking to me and a friend of mine and pointed us in the direction of Dickens and Poe.

 

At grade 9, I was on to Memorial High School, where a few teachers were truly excellent and even the many mediocre instructors followed a curriculum that implied the paramount importance of knowledge in the liberal and vocational arts for defining excellence in education.

No comments:

Post a Comment