Apr 20, 2018

Shakespeare in the New Salem Educational Initiative >>>>> Introductory Comments as Readers Anticipate My Presentation of >Merchant of Venice<, Positioned Next on the Blog


As you scroll on down this blog to the next article, you will see my most recent compressed version of a Shakespearean play, the troubling Merchant of Venice, which concludes with a scene that confirms the play’s status as one of the Bard’s comedies but does so at the expense of Shylock, a Jewish non-citizen resident of Venice who ultimately loses his fortune after lending money to the merchant, Antonio, who in turn had raised the sum to ameliorate the financially straitened condition of his beloved friend, Bassanio.

 

In presenting this play, I made an artistic decision that resonates with those that other presenters of this work of the greatest writer in the English language have had to make.  Shakespeare presents a scenario that bluntly reveals the religious bigotry of Christians over the long centuries during which the religion rose to prominence in Europe and certainly abided in the views of those who came to see Shakespeare’s works at the Globe Theater at Stratford on the Avon in England in the years just before and just after 1600.  Shakespeare gives evidence of a more balanced view on his own part;  he gives considerable space in the play for the Jewish financier Shylock to voice his resentment over the prejudice of those in the predominately Christian society around him, and he writes dialogue for the delivery by the Shylock character that articulates the universal qualities of humankind, whatever their demographic descriptors, most particularly in this case, religious identification.

 

This is the matter of focus for my artistic decision:  

 

The Merchant of Venice concludes with a lighthearted comedic scene that follows the intensely emotional courtroom scene in which the apparent victory of Shylock turns into humiliating defeat and even a mandate to renounce his Jewish faith and become a Christian.  By that time, many pages have been turned and scenes enacted since Shylock made his case for the common traits of humanity, regardless of religious faith.  In my rendering of the play, I bring that part of the script voiced by Shylock to the very end of the play, so that after his courtroom humiliation, he sits facing the audience alone, a man experiencing a bundle of emotions, poignantly at once forlorn, stunned, and insightful.

 

Great works of art should be read and discussed for any prejudices that they reveal, whether on the part of the author or on the part of those whose attitudes prevail in the temper of the times.  This assertion is rendered in consideration of the recent furor over the curricular inclusion or lack thereof with regard to Mark Twain’s (Samuel Clemens’s) Huck Finn and Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird;  and also in view of my own love of the works of the great playwright August Wilson, who in such magnificent works as Fences, The Piano Lesson, and Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom does not shy away from use of the “N” word as reclaimed by some African Americans in their own implicit definitional transformation.   

 

For many years now I have each spring compressed a Shakespearean play for presentation by my students and myself at the annual banquet of the New Salem Educational Initiative;  at least five students who have substantial parts and read the whole work with me then go the Great River Shakespeare Festival in Winona during the summer.  Typically, they see the play that they have just performed.  This will be the case this coming summer, at which in addition to main-stage performances of All’s Well That Ends Well and Midsummer Night’s Dream, there will be a performance of Merchant of Venice by a talented group of apprentices.  

 

In the days to come, for the convenience of my readers, I am going to present with new commentaries the other plays that I have thus far compressed, maintaining all Shakespearean (Elizabethan) language.   These works of the Bard include King Lear, Hamlet, Macbeth, Julius Caesar, Comedy of Errors and Othello.   A number of dignitaries have attended our banquet to see these productions, including Minnesota Department of Education Commissioner Brenda Cassellius, who attended our 2016 presentation of Julius Caesar.

 

The most practical impulsion to produce these compressed versions of Shakespeare’s works (from among the total of at least 36 dramas written by this greatest literary practitioner of the English language) has been these annual performances given by my students and me in the New Salem Educational Initiative.

 

My inspiration for these productions came first in the course of the 2012-2013 academic year.  I have always used Shakespeare in my Psychology classes (at this point in my career, I have taught all major subject area courses at the K-12 level, in addition to East Asian history courses at the university level).  During the academic year of note, I had three extraordinary female students who made perfect daughters Cordelia, Goneril, and Regan of King Lear (as enacted by me) in the June 2013 New Salem Educational Initiative Banquet.  From that time on, my students and I went forth confidently, ever reflecting upon our joy in performing these great works.

 

The hip-hop generation loves words;  Shakespeare is the best wordsmith in history, and the Bard’s themes are replete with resonances to the tenor of life at the urban core.  Less adroit teachers may feel the need to have recourse to the abominable and abominably titled No Fear Shakespeare, but as a genuine aficionado and highly skilled teacher I would never use anything but the original texts.  All of my compressions feature the Bard’s own words, presented in compact form for presentation in our 30-minute performances at the banquets.

 

After those banquet presentations in early June each year, students who have read the entire work and then performed the compressed version go with me to the Great River Shakespeare Festival in Winona, Minnesota.  I pack a lunch, we drive along the Mississippi (which most of my students have never seen beyond the Twin Cities bends), taking a look at the rural scenes that are a first-timer for many of these urban young people.  Given vocabulary-poor educations in the schools of Minneapolis, I inevitably have to review the meaning of “rural” and “urban” for my students, who have not yet encountered these terms except in my own instruction during our weekly academic sessions. 

 

I kid you not: 

 

Try these and many other perceptibly ordinary terms out with young people whom you may know, and you’ll get your own sense of just how atrocious are our institutions of K-12 education.

 

After we see the splendid production in Winona, I bring the students by my home for a meal of my preparation:   Once I became famous for my sweet and sour chicken and other Chinese and Taiwanese  accompaniments, any notion of varying the menu with my Mexican, down-home southern soul (which I cook for our annual banquets), Thai, South Asian, vegetarian, and vegan cornucopia became moot.

 

This is, then, an enriching experience for my students from multiple perspectives.

 

And the emphasis on Shakespeare is rooted in my propensity to be the adult who says, in the way of village elders of the past:  “Here is your cultural inheritance, which I am delivering to you as my sacred responsibility.” 

 

This is the sort of commitment that I make as my students and I study the fourteen chapters (Economics, Psychology, Political Science, World Religions,  World History, American History, African American History, Literature, English Usage, Fine Arts, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics) of my Fundamentals of an Excellent Liberal Arts Education;  and as I prepare in my Understanding the Minneapolis Public Schools:  Current Condition, Future Prospect  to detail the people and the processes that produce such a wretched K-12 academic program at that school district.

 

Shakespeare is a vital component of my total commitment to be the adult that my students need in their lives, one who imparts to them their inheritance as human beings, giving them an education of excellence and preparing them according to the three great purposes of education: 

 

cultural enrichment,

 

civic preparation,  

 

professional satisfaction.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment