Apr 10, 2017

Extraordinary Display of Student Interest in Multiple Subject Areas, Met by My Own Interest and Instruction, During the Remarkable Week of Sunday, 2 April through 8 April--- And My Vow to Do What Educators at the Minneapolis Public Schools Do Not While InducingThose Educators to Do What They Should Do


My students in the New Salem Educational Initiative demonstrate an abiding hunger for knowledge that matches my own, driving me to accumulate ever more knowledge, and to convey abundant information about the human past and present to the economically poorest of the poor in Minneapolis who flock to my instruction.

 

I am already making generous use of my advanced draft for Fundamentals of an Excellent Liberal Arts Education Prior to provide compact courses to my students in the key subject areas of economics, psychology, political science, world religions, world history, American history, African American history, literature, English language usage, fine arts, mathematics, biology, chemistry, and physics---  concerning which none of which the students who come to me have very much understanding, even having spent as many as thirteen years in the Minneapolis Public Schools.

 

Tired of inevitably having to provide spontaneous mini-courses to deliver necessary background information on the content of any article or piece of literature that we might be reading during our two-hour academic sessions in the New Salem Educational Initiative, I ultimately decided to write the book that would make the provision of those mini-courses more efficient.  

 

My students are riveted when we are doing our weekly exercises in the joy of knowledge.  Week after week, I find that, as in the case of Joshua Williams (data privacy surname---  scroll down to immediately following article) the have never had such head-spinning two hours of knowledge accumulation as during our weekly gatherings:

 

Time after time, my students, coming from the most economically and functionally challenged families of Minneapolis, demonstrate a thirst for the knowledge that I possess and have elevated ability to convey---  as has every young person who has come into my academic sphere for over forty years.

 

I will via my instruction and then in the gift of Fundamentals of an Excellent Liberal Arts Education satisfy that knowledge-hunger on the part of young people for the remainder of my days---  and I will exert tremendous pressure on putative educators at the Minneapolis Public Schools to do the same.

 

I am ever inspired by the extraordinary display of student interest in multiple subject areas, met by my own interest and instruction, during the remarkable week of Sunday, 2 April through 8 April 2017.

 

During that amazing week my students and I covered a tremendous range of skills, subjects, and items of mentorship.  Academically there were upper elementary mathematics fundamentals;  high school trigonometric ratios and sine, cosine, and tangent values for various radian angle measures on the unit circle;  the African American folktale, "The People Could Fly";  readings on the lives and essential contrasting ideas of Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein;  a compact version of homer's Odyssey;  lengthy discussion of the differences between deficit and debt;  distinction between fiscal and monetary policy;  close look at a recent federal budget;  technical meaning of economic recession; discussion of the Syria dilemma and the concomitant problems of Bashar Hafez al-Assad and the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS);  analysis of diplomatic and military issues pertinent to the People's Republic of China, Taiwan, South Korea, and North Korea, with the danger of pending nuclear capability in the latter (and globally more generally);  and a survey of the map of the world, focusing on the locations of the above nations, trouble spots, and other areas of the globe.

 

To a person, my many students sought information, understanding, and asked for more and more and then more again.

 

Thus doe my vow strengthen to do what Educators at the Minneapolis Public Schools Do Not---   while exerting enormous pressure on those claiming to be educators to do what they should do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment