May 14, 2022

Comments on Candidates Seeking DFL Endorsement for Seats on the Minneapolis Public Schools Board of Education

Comments on Candidates Seeking DFL Endorsement for Seats on the Minneapolis Public Schools Board of Education

 

Readers should remember that I am a leftist who tends to vote for Democrats but finds much at fault with the Democratic Party.  At certain historical junctures, the Democrats have been even worse on K-12 public education issues than Republicans;  at this juncture, though, neither party has any positive advocacy  >>>>>              Democrats are as beholden as ever to teachers unions (which are adept at wage and conditions advocacy but resist the needed overhaul in curriculum and teacher quality), while Republicans are mired in a myriad of distracting issues that have nothing to do with the advancement of academically substantive education.

 

As to the candidates given below, I do not endorse any but do give factual information, candidate comments in applications and on websites, and my own  commentary.

 

At Large  (2 Seats)

 

Kimberly Caprini

 

Brief Comment

 

Caprini grew up in North Minneapolis but attended Ascension and Benilde-St. Margaret’s schools rather than the public schools.  Her two children did attend schools in North Minneapolis, and Caprini was an involved parent, sitting on site councils and various committees.  Her candidacy in November 2018 seemed promising, but her DFL endorsement always made her suspect---  and sure enough she has aligned herself with the most status quo members of the MPS Board of Education (District 5 member Nelson Inz, At-Large Member and Current Chair Kim Ellison, and District 1 Member Jenny Arneson).

 

Caprini has advocated no changes that would advance academics at the district and is ever concerned with the political implications of her votes.

 

Recommendation from Gary Marvin Davison:

 

Defeat Caprini as a major objective, whether or not she gets the DFL endorsement.

 

 

Kerry Jo Felder

 

Brief Comment

 

Sharon El-Amin blessedly defeated Felder for the District 2 (North Minneapolis) seat in 2020,

so Felder is now seeking reentry via the at-large seat.  As a member of the MPS Board of Education, Felder was erratic in her comments, deeply beholden to the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers (MFT), and  ever concerned about being recognized as a leader and spokesperson for the North Minneapolis community---  to which she is a late comer.

 

Recommendation from Gary Marvin Davison:

 

Vigorously opposed to Felder’s candidacy

 

 

Harley Meyer

 

Brief Comment

 

Harley Meyer was one of the twenty-five applicants for the at-large position vacated by Josh Pauley when he resigned in February.  I made these notes on his application  >>>>>

 

Brief notes on significant items in applicant response;  I give only those items that truly made an impression on me from the application;  again, to make your own judgments, go to

https://meetings.boardbook.org/Public/Agenda/1807?meeting=526209 

>>>>>    Black Parent Advisory Council

>>>>>    Has teaching experience in Thailand and Mexico, with vowed success improving the reading ability of struggling students

>>>>>    But numerous spelling and grammatical errors of his own in the application

 

Likely to run in the election of November 2022?     >>>>>     Yes

 

Recommendation from Gary Marvin Davison:

 

Despite claims for improving student reading skills as a teacher in Thailand, Meyer presents no evidence of any positions likely to improve academic performance of students at the Minneapolis Public Schools;  his website is sketchy in the extreme.

 

 

Collin Beechy

 

Brief Comment

 

Collin Beechy was one of the twenty-five applicants for the at-large position vacated by Josh Pauley when he resigned in February.  I made these notes on his application   >>>>>

 

Brief notes on significant items in applicant response;  I give only those items that truly made an impression on me from the application;  again, to make your own judgements, go to

https://meetings.boardbook.org/Public/Agenda/1807?meeting=526209

>>>>>   Teacher for 19 years, with 6 additional years in professional education roles

 

>>>>>    Grew up as a gay African American man in a small central Minnesota town

                         

Likely to run in the election of November 2022?     >>>>>     Yes

 

Recommendation from Gary Marvin Davison:

 

Of those seeking endorsement from DFL for an at-large position on the MPS Board of Education, Beechy’s application responses and background are the most interesting;  I will be interviewing him in the run-up to August.

 

 

Jaton White

 

Brief Comment

 

Brief notes on significant items in applicant response;  I give only those items that truly made an impression on me from the application;  again, to make your own judgements, go to

https://meetings.boardbook.org/Public/Agenda/1807?meeting=526209

>>>>>    serves on the board of a nonprofit board of a community leaders organization

 

Likely to run in the election of November 2022?     >>>>>     Yes

 

 

Recommendation from Gary Marvin Davison:

 

I find very little substantively promising in White’s candidacy

 

 

District 1  (1 Seat)

 

Mary Jo McCollow

 

Brief Comment

 

The following is given on McCollow’s website  >>>>>

 

I am excited to announce that I am running for the open District 1 Minneapolis Public Schools’ board seat.

 

Many of you may know me from my community work here in Northeast Minneapolis where I have lived for 25 years with my husband and 3 children. I’m a licensed childcare provider and proud mom to 3 MPS graduates. I volunteered for years with Waite Park and Northeast Middle School PTAs. As a PTA volunteer, I found joy in being able to use my hobby as a baker to make thousands of brownies and cupcakes to support our community.

 

I have been providing early childcare for our community for over 24 years. I, like all of you, want quality public schools for all our young people. MPS families, students, school workers, and our neighborhood community need to be heard at the school board level. The MPS educators strike revealed so much unresolved harm festering in Minneapolis Public Schools. I am running for the open district 1 MPS board seat because I want to hear from our community and help repair that harm.

 

I am listening, I am here, I would be honored to represent you on the Minneapolis Public Schools Board.

 

Please reach out to me here in the meantime: maryjo4d1mps@gmail.com

 

Recommendation from Gary Marvin Davison:

 

I find very little substantive on McCollow’s website that addresses the key academic vexations of the Minneapolis Public Schools.

 

 

District 3  (1 Seat)

 

 

Karn Engelsgierd

 

Brief Comment

 

Brief notes on significant items in applicant response;  I give only those items that truly made an impression on me from the application;  again, to make your own judgements, go to

https://meetings.boardbook.org/Public/Agenda/1807?meeting=526209

>>>>>    Parent of one current and one future student in the Minneapolis Public Schools

 

>>>>>    Focused on academic outcomes, particular for nonwhite students

 

>>>>>    Has a sense of urgency regarding improvement of the Minneapolis Public Schools

 

Likely to run in the election of November 2022?     >>>>>     Yes

 

Recommendation from Gary Marvin Davison:

 

This candidacy seems to have some promise, so that I will be conducting an interview in the run-up to the primary in August.

 

 

Fathia Feerayarre

 

Brief Comment

 

The following is given on Feerayarre’s website  >>>>>

 

Hello my fellow Minneapolis Residents,

Eighteen years ago I had the opportunity to immigrate to the United States, and as a dreamer I had a dream of attaining college degrees. Today I am working towards obtaining my Doctoral Degree. As a mother of five which two of my kids attend Minneapolis Public Schools, I also dream together with them of a better future for us all.

While fulfilling my dreams for the past 18 years, I had the opportunity to work as a community organizer in several different resettlement agencies and a community health center where I assisted individuals and families to be able to access healthcare, social, mental health, and immigration services. I assisted parents for public school registrations, and assisted newcomers to resettle into their new communities.

As a Minneapolis resident and a mother of Minneapolis Public School, my goal as a board member will be to make sure every student has the same opportunity to receive high quality education, no matter what grade level or educational need. I believe all children should be afforded the same excellent education within Minneapolis Public schools. It will be my focus to make sure that this is, and remains a reality.

I am running to be a School Board member who represents the vested interests of those who are the faces of the Minneapolis Public School system.When elected to the School Board it will be my passion to represent the voiceless, the students and parents for which the Minneapolis Public School system exists.It will be my obligation to stand with the guardians of our public school system, the teachers, and their assistants.

It will be my firm conviction to hear the needs and work to deliver the resources that the dedicated Administrators need to craft a first class productive, inclusive learning environment.As a newly elected member I will be tasked with invigorating the entire school board with a passion to serve.

Additionally, I believe my professional background makes me uniquely qualified to be a member of the Minneapolis Public School Board. Let’s dream together about an effective, efficient, properly funded, and staffed innovative Minneapolis Public School system for our children and future generations.

Please vote for me, Fathia Feerayarre in the next Minneapolis Public School Board election.
Let’s share a new reality.

 

Recommendation from Gary Marvin Davison:

 

I find very little substantively promising in Feerayarre’s canididacy but will follow up with interview to see if any significant message addresses the academic vexations of the Minneapolis Public Schools.

 

 

 

District 5  (1 Seat)

 

Lori Norvell

 

Brief Comment

 

The following is given on Norvell’s website  >>>>>

Lori Norvell and her family moved to Minneapolis 10 years ago. When they moved here, she and her husband Travis knew they wanted their children to attend public school. They chose Minneapolis Public Schools for its rich diversity, variety of programs, focus on arts and cultural expression, and high academic rigor. 

During her time here in Minneapolis, Lori has worked for MPS as a Special Education Assistant in a preschool classroom, as a substitute teacher, and as a middle school math teacher. She has spent time volunteering at her children's schools and with their athletic teams. 

Lori brings to the school board the experience of a recent MPS teacher, the views of a parent and community member, and will lift the voices of our students, educators and community members. She envisions the role of a board member as one who advocates for students, families and staff, who holds district leadership accountable for their actions, who demands transparency from district leadership and the board.

 

Recommendation from Gary Marvin Davison:

 

I find very little substantively promising in Norvell’s candidacy, and reference to existing “academic rigor” (in fact lacking in the extreme in the Minneapolis Public Schools) indicates low standards, denial, or political posturing---  but will follow up with interview in the run-up to the primaries in August.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment