May 22, 2017

A Compressed Version of Shakespeare’s >Othello< for Presentation at the June 2017 Annual Banquet of the New Salem Educational Initiative


Shakespeare’s  The Tragedy of Othello:  The Moor of Venice

All original lines by William Shakespeare  

Compressed for performance by students at the annual banquet of the

New Salem Educational Initiative, June 2017.  

     

Gary Marvin Davison, Ph. D.                                       

Director, New Salem Educational Initiative

 

From Othello, Act I, Scene One                 [Venice.  A street.]

 

Iago:      Michael Cassio must his lieutenant be,

                And I his Moorship’s ancient.

I follow him to serve my own turn upon him.

 

                                 

From Othello, Act I, Scene three                               [Palace of the Duke of Venice]

 

[Enter Duke, Brabantio, Othello, Cassio, Roderigo, Officers, Iago, and Desdemona.]

 

Duke:    [To Brabantio] 

 

Good signior, what’s the matter?

 

Brabantio:           My daughter!

My daughter is stol’n by this Moor.

 

Duke [to Othello]:           What can you say to this?

 

Othello:               Is most true…

                                Her father lov’d me, oft question’d me the story of my life.

                                [Desdemona] lov’d me for the dangers I had pass’d,

And I loved her that she did pity them.

 

Desdemona:      My noble father, I do perceive a divided duty.

                                I am hitherto your daughter.  But here’s my husband.

 

Duke:                    The Turk with a most mighty preparation makes for

                                Cyprus. 

 

Othello:               I do undertake these present wars against the Ottomites

                                [and] crave disposition for my wife.

 

Desdemona:      Let me go with him.

 

Duke:                    Speed must answer.  You must hence to tonight.

 

Othello:               With all my heart.

 

[Exeunt Duke, Senators, Officers, Moor, and Desdemona]

 

Roderigo:            I will incontinently drown myself.

 

Iago:                      No more of drowning, do you hear? 

I hate the Moor.  My cause is hearted:

Thine hath no less reason.  Let us be conjunctive

in our revenge against him. 

 

Roderigo:            I am changed.

 

Iago:                      Go to; farewell.

 

                                Exit   Roderigo.

 

                                Thus do I ever make my fool my purse;

                                I time expend with such a snipe

                                But for my sport and profit.

 

                                I hate the Moor.  He holds me well.

                                The better shall my purpose work on him.

Cassio’s a proper man.  Let me see now---

                                To get his place,

After some time t’ abuse Othello’s ear

                                That he is too familiar with his wife.

                                I have’t!  Hell and night

                                Must bring this monstrous birth to the world’s light.

 

                                 Exit.

 

 

From Othello, Act II, Scene One                                [Famagusta, capital of Cyprus.  An open place near the quay]

 

                [Enter  Montano, Governor of Cyprus, and Cassio.]

 

Cassio:                  Thanks to the valiant of this warlike isle,

                                That so approve the Moor. 

                                                                                               

                [Enter  Desdemona, Iago, Emilia, Roderigo, and attendants.]

 

Cassio:                  Hail to thee, lady!

 

Desdemona:      I thank thee, valiant Cassio.

                                What tidings can you tell me of my lord?

 

Cassio:                  He is not yet arriv’d; 

But hark!  A sail.

                                                                                [Guns heard.]

 

                                [Enter  Othello and attendants]

 

Desdemona:      My dear Othello.

 

Othello:               It gives me great wonder and content

                                To see you here before me.

 

Desdemona:      The heavens forbid

                                But that our loves and comforts should increase

                                Even as our days do grow.

 

Iago:                      [Aside]

 

O you are well tun’d now,

                                But I’ll set down the pegs that make this music,

                                As honest as I am.

 

Othello:               Come, let us to the castle---

                                Our wars are done.  The Turks are drown’d.

                                Once more, well met in Cyprus!

 

[Exit  Othello and Desdemona, with all except Iago and Roderigo]. 

 

Iago [to Roderigo]:          I must tell thee this:  Desdemona is

Directly in love with him [Cassio].

 

Roderigo:            With him?  ‘tis possible?

 

Iago:                      The knave is handsome, young,

and the woman has found him completely.

 

Roderigo:            I cannot believe that in her.  She’s full of most blessed

                                condition.

 

Iago:                      Bless’d, fig’s end!  If she be blessed, she would never have loved the

                                Moor…  Sir, be ruled by me: 

Do find some occasion to anger Cassio,

                                Provoke him that he may cause these

of Cyprus to mutiny.

 

Roderigo:            I will do this, if you can bring it to any opportunity.

Adieu.                 

 

Exit.

 

Iago:                      If this poor trash of Venice stand the putting-on,

                                I’ll have our Michael Cassio on the hip.

                               

 

From Othello, Act II, Scene Three                            

               

[The ‘Court of Guard’ or Guard-Post on Cyprus]

 

                                                                Enter  Iago.

 

Iago:                      Come, lieutenant, I have a stoop of wine…

 

Cassio:                  Not to-night, good Iago.  I have very poor and unhappy

                                brains for drinking. 

 

Iago:                      But one cup.  The gallants desire it.

 

Cassio:                  I’ll do it;  but it dislikes me.                        Exit.

 

 Iago:                     Now, ‘mongst this flock of drunkards,

                                Am I to put Cassio in some action

                                That may offend the isle. 

 

Enter  Cassio and Montano.

 

                                Enter Roderigo.

 

Cassio, driving at Roderigo.

 

Cassio:                  Zounds!  You rogue, you rascal!

 

Iago:                      What’s the matter, lieutenant?

 

Cassio:                  I’ll beat the knave into a twiggen bottle.

 

Roderigo:            Beat me? 

 

Cassio:                  Dost thou prate, rogue?                               [Stiking Roderigo.]

 

Montano:            [Staying him] Nay, good lieutenant.  I pray you,

                                sir, hold your hand.

 

Cassio:                  Let me go, sir, or I’ll knock you o’er the mazzard.

 

Montano:            Come, you’re drunk.

 

Cassio:                  Drunk!                                                  [They fight.]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       ;

Iago:                      Nay, good lieutenant!

 

Enter  Othello and Gentlemen, with weapons.

 

Othello:               What is the matter ere?

                                How came it, Michael, that you were thus forgot?

 

Cassio:                  I pray you, pardon me, I cannot speak.

 

Othello:               ‘Tis monstrous.  Iago, who began’t?

 

Iago:                      I had rather have this tongue cut from my mouth

                                Than it should do offence to Michael Cassio;

                                Yet I persuade myself to speak the truth.

I found them close together,

At blow and thrust, even as they were

When you yourself did part them.

 

Othello:               I know, Iago, thy honesty.

                                Cassio, I love thee

                                But never more be officer of mine.

                                   

                                       [Exit  Moor.]

 

Iago;                      [To Cassio]  What, are you hurt, lieutenant?

 

Cassio:                  Ay, past all surgery. I have lost my reputation.

                                What remains is bestial.

 

Iago:                      What, man!  There are ways to recover

the general again…..

Confess yourself freely to [Desdemona],

importune her help to put you to your place again.

 

Cassio:                  You advise me well…  and in the morning will I

                                Beseech the virtuous Desdemona to undertake for me.

 

Iago:                      Good night, lieutenant.

 

Cassio:                  Good night, honest Iago!                             Exit Cassio.

 

Iago:                      While this honest fool plies Desdemona to repair his fortunes,

                                And she for him pleads to the Moor,

                                I’ll pour this pestilence into his ear

                                My wife [Emilia] must move for Cassio to her mistress.

And make the net that shall enmesh them all.

 

                                                                                Exit.

 From Othello, Act III, Scene One             

 

                                                [Enter Emilia.]

 

Emilia:                  Good morrow, good lieutenant.  

All will soon be well.

The general and his wife are talking of it,

And she speaks for you stoutly.

Pray you, come in.

 

                                [The garden of the Citadel]

 

Enter   Desdemona, Cassio, and Emilia

 

                                [Desdemona and Cassio talk with great intensity;

 Emilia listens attentively.  Cassio bows in gratitude and exits.

 

Othello:               Was that not Cassio parted with my wife?

 

Iago:                      Cassio, my lord?  No, sure.  I cannot think it,

                                That he would steal away so guilty-like,

                                Seeing you coming.

 

Desdemona:      How now, my lord!

                                I have been talking with a suitor here.

He errs in ignorance and not in cunning,

                                I prithee, call him back.

 

Othello:               I will deny thee nothing.

                                I beseech thee, leave me

but a little to myself.

 

                                                Exeunt Desdemona and Emilia.

 

Othello:               What dost thou think?

 

Iago:                      Look to your wife.  Observe her well with Cassio.

                                She did deceive her father, marrying you---

                               

Othello:               I am bound to you forever.

 

Iago:                      My lord, I’ll take my leave.

 

                                Exit.

 

                                Enter   Desdemona and Emilia                  

 

Desdemona:      How now, my dear Othello.

 

Othello:               I have a pain upon my forehead here.

 

                                [He puts the handkerchief from him, and it drops.]

 

                                Let it alone.  Come, I’ll go in with you. 

 

                                Exeunt  Othello and Desdemona

 

Emilia:                  I am glad I have found her first

remembrance from the Moor.

                                My wayward husband hath a hundred times

                                Woo’d me to steal it.

                 

                                Enter  Iago.

                               

Emilia:                  I have a thing for you.

 

Iago:                      A foolish wife.

 

Emilia:                  O, is that all?  What will you give me now

                                For that same handkerchief?          [Shows Iago the handkerchief.]

 

Iago:                      Oh, good wench!  Give it me.        [Snatches it.]

                               

                                Exit Emilia.

 

                                Enter Othello.

 

Iago:                      Cassio in sleep I heard him say,

‘Sweet Desdemona, let us be wary,

let us hide our loves!’

 

Othello:               Oh, monstrous!  monstrous!

                                I’ll tear her to pieces!

 

[Othello  kneels;  Iago kneels beside him.]

 

7

Iago:                      Witness you ever-burning lights above!

Iago doth give his wit, hands, heart,

to wrong’d Othello’s services!

 

                                [They rise.]

                                                                               

[Exeunt.]

 

From Othello, Act III, Scene Four

 

Desdemona:      Where should I lose that handkerchief, Emilia?

 

Emilia:                  I know not, madam.

 

Desdemona:      Believe me, I would rather have lost my purse

full of cruzadoes

 

Emilia:                  Look where he comes!

 

                                Enter Othello                   

 

Desdemona:      How is’t with you, my lord?

 

Othello:               I have a salt and sorry rheum offends me.

                                Lend me your handkerchief.

 

Desdemona:      I have it not about me.

 

Othello:               That is a fault.  Is’t lost?  Is’t gone? 

Speak!  Is’t o’ of the way?

 

Desdemona:      I say, it is not lost.

 

Othello:               Fetch’t, let me see’t.

 

Desdemona:      Why I can, sir, but I will not now.

                                This is a trick to put me from my suit.

                                Pray you, let Cassio be receiv’d again.

 

Othello:               Fetch me that handkerchief!  My mind misgives.

 

Desdemona:      I pray, talk to me of Cassio… 

 

Othello:               The handkerchief.  Zounds!                                       

 

Exit Othello.

 

Emilia:                  Is not this man jealous?

They are not ever jealous for the cause,

                                But jealous for they are jealous.

 

Desdemona:      Heaven keep that monster from Othello’s mind!

 

                                [Cassio can be seen at another section of the stage, picking up

a handkerchief that the audience sees Iago toss into Cassio’s chamber]

 

From Othello, Act IV, Scene One

 

                                [Enter Iago and Othello.]

 

Othello:               [advancing]  How shall I murder him, Iago?                                                        

 

Iago:                      Do it not with poison.  Strangle her in her bed, even

                                The bed that she hath contaminated.

 

Othello:               Good, good.  The justice of it pleases.  Very good.

 

Iago:                      And for Cassio, let me be his undertaker.

                               

                                Exit Othello.

 

Enter Roderigo.

 

Roderigo:            How do you mean, removing of him?

 

Iago:                      Why, by making him uncapable of Othello’s place.

                                Knocking out his brains.        

 

Roderigo:            And that you would have me do?

 

                                [Iago nods.  Roderigo ponders the idea first doubtfully, then favorably]

 

                                Exeunt.

 

From Othello, Act V, Scene One                                                [A street of Cyprus}

 

                                [Enter Iago and Roderigo.] 

 

[Enter Cassio. Iago retires.]

 

Roderigo:            Villain, thou diest.

 

                                                [Makes a pass at Cassio.]                            

                               

                                                [Cassio draws and and wounds Roderigo.]

 

Roderigo:            O! I am slain!         [Draws,  wounds Cassio in the leg, and exits.]

 

Cassio:                  I am maimed forever.  Light, ho!  Murder! Murder!    [Falls.]

 

                                                [Enter Iago, with a light.]

 

Cassio:                  Here, here!  For heaven’s sake, help me.

 

Iago:                      Oh, my lieutenant, what villains have done this?

 

[Stabs Roderigo.]

 

Roderigo:            O inhuman dog!               [Roderigo dies.]

 

                                                                                [Exit  Iago.]

 

 

From Othello, Act V, Scene Two

 

                                                [State bedroom in the Citadel]

                                                Enter  Othello with a light, and Desdemona in her bed.

 

Desdemona:      Who’s there?  Othello?

 

Othello:               Ay…  have you prayed tonight, Desdemona?

 

Desdemona:      Ay, my lord.

 

Othello:               If you think yourself of any crime

                                Solicit for it straight…  I would not kill thy soul.

 

Desdemona:      Talk you of killing?

 

Othello:               Ay, I do.  That handkerchief which I so lov’d and gave thee

                                Thou gav’st to Cassio.

 

Desdemona:      No, by my life and soul!

                                                     

Othello:               By heaven, I saw my handkerchief in his hand… 

                                Down, strumpet!            

 

                                                                [He stifles her.]

 

                                                                Enter   Emilia.

 

Othello:               She’s like a liar gone to burning hell.

                                Thy husband knew it all.

 

Emilia:                  My husband?

 

Othello:               Ay, it was he who told me first.

                                An honest man he is.

 

                                                                [Enter  Iago and others.]

                               

Emilia:                  Speak, for my heart is full.

 

Iago:                      I told him what I thought.

 

Emilia:                  But did you ever tell him she was false?

 

Iago;                      I did.

 

Emilia:                  You told a lie, an odious lie.                      

 

                                                                [Othello falls on the bed.]

 

Emilia:                  O thou dull Moor!  That handkerchief I found by fortune

and did give my husband, for he begg’d me to steal it.

 

Iago:                      Filth, thou liest!

 

                                                The Moor runs at Iago.  Iago kills his wife

 

                                                                [Exit  Iago.]

 

[Enter Lodovico (noble Venetian and kinsman to Desdemona)],

Montano (Governor of Cyprus), Iago (as prisoner), and Officers.  Cassio in a chair.]

 

Lodovico:            Where is this rash and most unfortunate man?

 

Othello:               That’s he that was Othello.  Here I am. 

                               

[Seeing Iago, Othello runs toward him and wounds him.]

 

Cassio:                  Dear general, I did never give you cause.

 

Othello:               I do believe it, and I ask you pardon.

 

                                [Othello looks at Iago as if seeking an explanation.]

               

Iago:                      Demand me nothing.  What you know, you know.

                                From this time forth I never will speak word.

                               

Lodovico:            [To Othello]       You must forsake this room and go with us.

                                Your power and your command is taken off,

And Cassio rules in Cyprus.

 

Othello:               Speak of one that lov’d not wisely but too well [and],

                                being perplex’d in the extreme, threw a pearl away.

                               

                                                                [He stabs himself.  He dies.]

 

Cassio:                  This did I fear, but thought he had no weapon,

                                For he was great of heart.

 

Lodovico:            [To Iago]  O Spartan dog,

                                Look on this tragic loading of the bed!

                                This is thy work.  To you, lord governor,

                                Remains the censure of this hellish villain,

                                Myself will straight aboard, and to the state

                                This heavy act with heavy heart relate.

 

                                                                [Exeunt  omnes]             

 

 

        Finis

 

No comments:

Post a Comment