Feb 20, 2017

We Will Build a New World with Respect for Young People and the Power of Knowledge

My life is animated with the daily honor of providing my students with a knowledge-intensive education and interacting with their loving parents, who give full support and appreciation for my efforts to make this the generation that ends cyclical poverty through the power of knowledge.

 

On this blog, in my academic Journal of the K-12 Revolution:  Essays and Research from Minneapolis, Minnesota, on my television show (The K-12 Revolution with Dr. Gary Marvin Davison, MTN Channel 17, Wednesdays at 6:00 PM), and in my two nearly complete books my readers and viewers are positioned to gain an ever-increasing understanding of the components of the educational transformation that we need at the level of the locally centralized school district.

 

……………………………………………………

 

Two editions of the academic journal published during these past few months were  particularly salient in conveying two important aspects of my efforts:

 

In the May 2016 edition of the academic journal I delivered the essence of my program for transformation of the Minneapolis Public Schools (MPS) for becoming a model of the locally centralized school district.  That program focuses on 1) the overhaul of curriculum for the delivery of a knowledge-intensive K-12 education;  2) the training of teachers for delivery of such a curriculum;  3) the design and implementation of a highly intentional, district-wide, coherent tutoring program;  4) the development of a program for resource delivery and resource referral to struggling families right where they live;  and 5) paring of the central school district bureaucracy at the Davis Center (1250 West Broadway), so as to shift resources to the four programs mentioned above.   

 

In the October 2016 edition of the journal I presented an introduction and four other articles conveying stories of eight students whose lives and those of their families have been transformed via participation in the New Salem Educational Initiative.  In the articles following the introduction, readers encountered powerful stories of the lives now lived by Evelyn Patterson and her two sons, Damon Preston and Javon Jakes;  sisters Manuela, Lucinda, and Anita Saldovar;  half-siblings Kamal Richardson and Alicia Bennett, offspring of  Shameah Hutchinson;  and Aniya Emerson, daughter of Joanna Blake.

 

Those stories of eight students are of the kind that could be told of the 45 student participants in the small-group program of the New Salem Educational Initiative, the 25 who participate in the New Salem Tuesday Program, and the approximately 50 additional people supported in some way by my efforts in the New Salem Educational Initiative---   via independent study, continued support of various kinds while matriculating at colleges and universities, or immediate response to acute academic needs or threatening life circumstance.  Thus, in all, my network in the New Salem Educational Initiative includes at least 125 people who know that they will receive my support as an ongoing commitment and whenever the need arises.  The people whom I serve consistently tell me that they have never in their lives had this kind of love and mentorship.

 
………………………………………………

 

But I cannot teach or reach everybody, so I have generated a variety of venues and platforms for delivery of my message to decision-makers at the Minneapolis Public Schools.  In addition to the academic journal, blog, television show, and speaking engagements, I am assembling two nearly complete books.

 

For two years now I have been at work writing Fundamentals of an Excellent Liberal Arts Education.  This book is inspired by my realization that my students learn very little in their weekly classes in the Minneapolis Public Schools.  I encourage my students to maintain their enrollment in the Minneapolis Public Schools, so as to get breakfast and lunch, to gain access to extracurricular activities, to interact with a diversity of people, and to get what modicum of education they can;  but most of what they learn is in their two hours in academic sessions with me each week.  To make this process more efficient, I have written this nearly complete work, which delivers compact courses in economics, psychology, political science, world religion, world history, American history, African American history, literature, English usage, fine arts, mathematics, biology, chemistry, and physics.

 

I am also assembling the bundle of research that I have done on the inner workings of the Minneapolis Public Schools into another major tome, Understanding the Minneapolis Public Schools:  Current Condition, Future Prospect.  This book proceeds in three parts:  Part One presents strictly objective data and information of many kinds, with great attention to staffing in the central school district bureaucracy, curriculum, teacher qualifications, and student performance;  Part Two features my analysis and critique of the objective information from Part One;  and Part Three conveys my philosophy of education, detailed program for overhaul of curriculum and teacher training, and five point program for establishing the Minneapolis Public Schools as a model for the locally centralized school district.     

 

I have already posted snippets of these books on my blog. 

 

These books will shake those with vested interests in the status quo to their core, provoking as they will a vigorous public response once the incompetence of the sustainers of the system as it is are exposed for their ineptitude.


……………………………………………………………………………………….


Kathy Saltzman, the erstwhile director in Minnesota for Michelle Rhee’s StudentsFirst organization (Rhee’s waning efforts are no longer being exerted in Minnesota), came to two successive annual banquets of the New Salem Educational Initiative, witnessing multiple displays of skill and knowledge, and viewing student performances of King Lear and Hamlet.  After the second, an astonished Kathy said,

 

“Gary, wow.  You are so kind and gentle with your students, and their families so clearly adore you.  And yet you speak truth to power like no one I’ve ever seen.”

 

“Kathy,” I said, “You’ve got to understand that I love kids, treasure every moment that I’m with them.  It’s adults whom I don’t like very much.”  

 

And then I explained that I do like her, that I like and love the tutors who assist in the Tuesday evening program, and that I am so fortunate to have the support of my students’ families and the community of stalwart supporters that has formed around my seminal efforts.

 

But in a world in which child abuse is rife, in which young people are made to feel horridly because of their race, ethnicity, immigration status, sexual orientation, and many other natural qualities that should provoke respect and the opening of loving arms---  there are many adults whom I am out to expose and ultimately transform.

 

We do this by speaking directly and in the given moment to the abuse at hand.

 

But we ultimately do this via the power of education. 

 

............................................................

Just think what we could become if we ever worked assiduously to promote healthy personal habits and then offered inexpensive health care to those who are inflicted with unavoidable physical and mental maladies.

 

And then think what we could become if we provided a knowledge-intensive education to young people of all demographic descriptors, who would then go forth as culturally prepared, civically engaged, professionally satisfied adults.

 

If we ever got that foundation in health and education established, we would replace our current strife-torn existence in this one earthly sojourn with lives of love and peace and deep satisfaction.

This is the power and the purpose if the K-12 Revolution.

We will build a new world with respect for young people and the power of knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment