Dec 20, 2017

Nativity 2017

You will abide within me all through this season
that brought brightest luster to those treasures
of humanity and matter that you loved most.
 
I see your Christmas vest and skirt, your pins and
jewelry shaped in wreathes and candy canes, your
reclining Santa, your exquisite ornaments from
a world traversed widely with your beloved.
 
I bask in your smile, rejoice in your laughter rising
to match the enthusiastic peal of your mother,
as family arrived amidst hugs and banter, the time for
“having the tree” on Christmas Eve drawing near.
 
I see, smell, taste, the lovingly prepared tender turkey,
renowned dressing, oyster gravy;  the cranberry sauce,
pineapple and marshmallow salad, celery, carrot sticks.
 
You appear before me now, aglow with the transcendent
joy you felt in December 1994, when all of those whom
you loved most in the world gathered under your roof to
celebrate the season and honor the centenary of the radiant
woman of joy for whom Christmas seemed devised.
 
Deep in my heart, embedded eternally, abiding immortally,
throbs that special gift you gave to me each Christmas, that
gift you presented anew each day of my life, the only gift
that matters, the reason for our being and the season, the
 
 
Gift
 
of
 
LOVE
 
 
GMD
Christmas 2017


As most of you will recognize, I wrote this verse in honor of my mom, Betty Geer Davison (16 July 1921- 16 September 2017).

I wish all of you abundant joy with your families during Christmas and Hanukkah 2017, celebrations from other traditions, and for everybody all good fortune in New Year 2018.







1 comment:

  1. Very touching abd beautiful. I'd like to complete it with a quote I read a few days ago:
    " Do not stand at my grave and weep I am not there. I do not sleep. I am a thousand winds that blow. I am the diamond glints on snow. I am the sunlight on ripened grain. I am the gentle autumn rain. When you awaken in the morning's hush I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds in circled flight. I am the soft stars that shine at night. Do not stand at my grave and cry; I am not there. I did not die."
    Merry Christmas to you and your family. I wish you a lot of love, happiness, health and prosperity.

    ReplyDelete