May 17, 2016

Major Reconsideration >>>>> Look for My Forthcoming Recommendation for Either Brenda Cassellius or Ed Graff as Superintendent of the Minneapolis Public Schools

On Sunday, 15 May, I posted an article on this blog that reviewed my objections to policies of the Mark Dayton gubernatorial administration and the Minnesota Department of Education under the leadership of Brenda Cassellius, current Education Commissioner for the State of Minnesota.


I still look with disfavor on the successful application of a waiver from No Child Left Behind stipulations;  the termination of graduation requirements that had required students to demonstrate grade level performance on a Grade 9 Writing Exam and a Grade 10 Reading MCA (Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment);  the creation of a murky new Multiple Measurement Rating system to replace determination of school effectiveness on the clear basis of student performance on reading and mathematics MCAs at grades 3 through 8;  and policies that seemed to forecast eventual jettisoning of the MCAs in favor of assessments aligned to the ACT college readiness exam and college and university expectations (which rang false, given that teachers had been unsuccessful in preparing students for the much easier MCAs).


But under my close questioning at the community gathering at the Davis Center (central offices of the Minneapolis Public Schools, 1250 West Broadway) on Monday, 16 May, Brenda Cassellius spoke effectively to issues raised by my still-abiding objections.  I came away with an inclination to reconsider my negative evaluation of Cassellius as a candidate for Superintendent of the Minneapolis Public Schools, given that she seems honestly receptive to major changes for which I advocate:


>>>>>  knowledge-intensive curriculum specified grade by grade throughout the K-12 years


>>>>>  teachers retrained to teach knowledge-intensive curriculum


>>>>>  well-articulated and coherent tutoring program for students who lag behind in reading and mathematics


>>>>>  greatly improved outreach to families of students who are struggling in school


In view of my reconsideration of the Cassellius candidacy, I have removed from this blog an article that I recently posted. 


Please look for an article to be posted on this blog in the coming days that gives my recommendation for either Brenda Cassellius or Ed Graff as new Superintendent of the Minneapolis Public Schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment