Becca Dryden (District 5)
Becca Dryden was one of two candidates in the 11 August Primary for the District 5 seat on the Minneapolis Public Schools Board of Education and proceeds to the Tuesday, 3 November 2026, general election, as will her opponent (Molly Chase).
The following is information obtained mostly from Dryden's website:
Hi, I’m
Becca
I’m a
proud Minneapolis Public School parent and I’m running to be your next District
5 School Board Director because now more than ever our school board needs
strong, reliable leadership that is willing to show up for our community. As a
parent organizer with Minneapolis Families for Public Schools, I have a track
record of bringing community members together to step up for the needs in our
schools - whether that’s organizing for smaller class sizes or coordinating
school patrols and mutual aid.
During
last year’s contract negotiations, I showed up to bargaining sessions and
school board meetings, met with educators and parents to hear their concerns,
and organized a school-based team of over 150 caregivers to have our voices
heard.
Since the
occupation of our city by ICE agents, our school team has expanded to be over
250 strong, and I have helped lead us in raising tens of thousands in mutual
aid, patrolling outside our schools, and lending support to nearby
schools.
I am
fully invested in this community, and as your school board member I will bring
the community into the decision-making process because I know that strong
communities mean strong schools, and strong schools mean a strong
Minneapolis.
Platform
and Plan
Leading
with a vision for the future
We need
to move from crisis response, to fighting for the destination district our
students deserve. Within MPS, this looks like increased transparency, genuine
engagement of the community, a plan to grow enrollment, and deeper commitment
to bringing the fight for our schools to the capitol.
My Plan
- Invest in community outreach to draw
families back to our district
- Prioritize student-facing personnel
because they make our schools stronger
- Continue working with state
legislators and showing up at the Capitol to fix gaps in state funding
that negatively impact MPS disproportionately
Transparent
and collaborative decision-making
As a
parent organizer, I brought 150 families from my school into fighting for a
contract that benefits educators, students, and families. As a school board
director, my role will be to do exactly that: bring my constituents into the
decision making process with me. This will look like consistent engagement in
the district, and deep partnerships with organized labor and organized parent
and caregivers.
My Plan
- Hold monthly community meetings to
hear from and collaborate with constituents
- Have regular check-ins with MFE and
SEIU leadership to ensure the voices of our educators and staff are
present in decision-making
- Prioritize accountability through
regular, public communication that is transparent and effective.
Safe
schools for all - students, staff, and neighbors
I have a
track record for fighting in support of gun control, in support of trans
children, and in support of bringing more money into our district. As your
school board director, it will be my role to ensure that every student,
regardless of their identity or zip code, gets the safe, supportive, and
transformative education they deserve. And as your school board director, it
will also be my responsibility to ensure our educators and staff have the
working conditions and compensation that allows them to support our students
with dignity.
My Plan
- Strengthen our Gender Inclusion
Policy to better support our trans and gender diverse students
- Ensure ICE stays out of our schools
and that the district maintains strong policy and training on keeping our
schools safe from ICE
- Fully staff schools with support
services personnel who play a vital role in creating safe, stable school
environments
Endorsements
Organizations
·
Minnesota State Council/SEIU
·
Stonewall DFL
·
Minnesota DFL Senior Caucus
·
AFL/CIO, Minneapolis Federation of Labor
·
Moms Demand Action/Gun Sense Candidate
·
Teacher Unify to End Gun Violence Action
Individuals
Ilhan
Omar
US
Representative for Minnesota 5th District
“Becca
Dryden consistently stands up for her neighbors and our schools, building deep
relationships with her community along the way. With Becca as a school board
director, our students will benefit from her leadership, and her stubborn
optimism for the promise of public education.”
……………………………………………………………………….
Omar
Fateh
Minnesota
State Senator SD 62
“The
partnership between local leaders and the State legislature is crucial to
securing the fully funded MPS we all deserve. Becca has already organized MPS
parents and caregivers to fight for better funding, excellent learning
environments, and protecting schools from ICE. Having leaders like Becca Dryden
at MPS makes me excited to be an MPS Parent one day soon!“
……………………………………………………………………….
Zaynab
Mohamed
Minnesota
State Senator SD 63
“Becca
has brought powerful testimony in support of my bill providing more student
support staff for our students, as well as other bills that support students
and invest in our public schools. I would be overjoyed to have a partner like
Becca on the Minneapolis School Board.”
……………………………………………………………………….
Sam
Sencer-Mura
MN State
Representative SD63A
“Becca
has emerged as a key leader in our district, one who is working hard to
harnesses the energy of parent organizing efforts during Metro Surge to fight
for a better Minneapolis in the long term. She has the right combination of
policy understanding and loving care our school district needs at this critical
moment. I’m proud to endorse her.”
……………………………………………………………………….
Angela
Conley
Hennepin
County Commissioner
“As an
MPS Parent, I want to see school board leaders who are accessible and
transparent. I am confident that this is the type of school board director
Becca will be, and I know she will fight to protect funding that help our
students thrive like special education & arts programming. Becca is the
leader our district needs & I look forward to collaborating with her for a
stronger Minneapolis.”
……………………………………………………………………….
Robin
Wonsley
Ward 2
Minneapolis City Council Member
“Our
Minneapolis student deserve fully funded schools. They deserve full access to
Special Education and English Language learning program. They deserve arts
programs with all the resources needed to express themselves. And they deserve
a fighter who will help get this done - someone with a passion and history of
organizing their community around schools. Becca Dryden is that fighter.”
……………………………………………………………………….
Soren
Stevenson
Ward 8
Minneapolis City Council Member
“Parents
need to know who they are working with on the School Board. They need to trust
their representative will show up for them on the streets and at the table.
Becca Dryden has earned this trust, pouring herself into organizing in the
community and advocating at the Capitol for every MPS student. Becca is the
best choice for District 5.”
……………………………………………………………………….
Jamison
Whiting
Ward 11
Minneapolis City Council Member
……………………………………………………………………….
Jason
Chavez
Ward 9
Minneapolis City Council Member
“I’m
proud to endorse Becca Dryden for school board as she’s stood shoulder to
shoulder with the queer community in our fight against bigotry, with our
immigrant community during Operation Metro Surge, and with Minneapolis families
and educators across the city, fighting for the public schools we all deserve.”
……………………………………………………………………….
Aurin
Chowdhury
Ward 12
Minneapolis City Council Member
“I’m
excited to support Becca Dryden for School Board in District 5. Becca’s
organizing helped keep our schools safe during Operation Metro Surge. Now she
is advocating for fully funding the diverse education our MPS kids deserve.
Becca’s analysis of the issues we need to address at MPS are spot on, and she
brings a deep understanding of the issues facing our public schools within the
broader context of our city. I look forward to partnering together for our
community!”
……………………………………………………………………….
Kay
Carvajal
District
5 Park Commissioner
“Leaders
like Becca Dryden are exactly what our kids need right now. Becca and I share a
strong commitment to fully funding the programs that help set up our kids to
succeed. The relationship between our public schools and parks is foundational
to growing up in Minneapolis. Having a partner like Becca on the School Board
would strengthen our advocacy for more paid afterschool youth programming.
Working with her would be exciting!”
……………………………………………………………………….
Dan
Engelhart
District
1 Park Commissioner
“I’m
supporting Becca because I’ve seen her show up and do the work of actively
organizing with the community, she shows up at the Capitol and all over
Minneapolis. We need strong relationships and connections at MPRB to MPS and I
know Becca will be an excellent local government partner. She has a strong set
of values and acts on them. Leaders like Becca are exactly who we need on our
school board.”
No comments:
Post a Comment