Christin Crabtree (At-Large)
Christin Crabtree garnered the most votes (45,254 [38.6%) in the 11 August Primary for the two available at-large seats on the Minneapolis Public Schools Board or Education.
The following is information obtained mostly from Crabtree's website:
Christin Crabtree’s Website Introduction
I am
Christin Crabtree, and I am running for Minneapolis School Board At-Large. I
have been a MPS parent for 21 years. My
son started kindergarten when I was just 23 years old. I was a single parent with a very limited
income, navigated housing insecurity and working hard to give my son every
opportunity I could. I remember my
anxiety walking into my first PTO meeting, comparing myself to how I perceived
the other caregivers, and more importantly I remember the way my feelings
transformed into a sense of belonging and shared purpose amongst our school
community. It was in a Minneapolis Public School where my young family
was not only embraced, accepted, and cared for, but it was also where I was
empowered to lead. I have served on PTOs and site councils. I spoke into
a bullhorn for the first time at a rally alongside educators and caregivers -
and my son. I have written grants for art programs and invested various ways as
my two kids have gotten older.
Our
public schools are the foundation of our democracy. Schools are the bedrock of community wellbeing
and safety. They are the shared space
where we gather together across divisions our society too often expects us to
have. Minneapolis is a city that loves
and cares about each other, and we show up time and time again to make that
clear. Nothing has shown that as
tangibly as our response to this winter’s ICE invasion. Minneapolis families and educators came
together to raise money and provide mutual aid to ensure that families stayed
housed and fed and safe as they sheltered in place. We organized transportation to school and
doctor appointments. We built deep relationships and we learned from each
other.
I want to
continue building that sense of community and mutual flourishing as your school
board member at large. Public Schools make it possible to imagine and
work together towards the Minneapolis we deserve; a city where every resident
can thrive. We are at our best
when Minneapolis comes together in solidarity for a larger purpose; we have
shown each other what it looks like to build collective action and networks
rooted in care. We have proved to the
world that we can win. Now is the time to bring that energy to our public
schools.
Why
Christin Crabtree Says She Is Running
Priority
1: Grounded and rooted in community
Our
district is full of vibrant, tightly knit communities of engaged families—a
fact proven clearly by the tremendous response to the ICE occupation in the
past two months. I am proud to be a
Minneapolis Public Schools caregiver, and I am proud of the immense effort put
forth by parents and educators to keep our schools secured, our staff
supported, and our neighbors safe.
As a
school board member, I will not forget where I come from. It is important for
our communities that our leaders work alongside us. For decades, I have been entrenched in
community work, building relationships that give me the confidence and
knowledge required to be a leader at the district level.
I will
remain by your side, fighting for equity, resources, and representation for
those who need it most.
Goals:
- Bring true transparency to the role
of school board representation—you will know what I am doing and you will
see me engaged in the community
- Remain accessible to constituents—if
you call, I will pick up
- Advocate for all at the highest
levels of decision-making while remaining present in the street-level work
Priority
2: Fight for better legislative and collaborative outcomes
Through
decades of organizing in Minneapolis I have developed trusted relationships
with a cross section of community members who know how to get things done. Side
by side with neighbors, I have been in our streets and our institutions to
deliver meaningful policy change and tangible resources that improve living
conditions for people in our city.
Public
schools across the state face tremendous funding challenges in the form of
unfunded mandates, federal cuts to critical programs, and foreclosing state
policies that disproportionately impact services to students with some of the
greatest need. School board members should be at the frontline of the
legislative battle. We must build a wide coalition across political and
geographic divides, as the funding crisis affects all public schools statewide.
Our
school board should leave no local stone unturned in the effort to bring more
resources into the district. I have built trust with city council members, park
board members, leaders in the nonprofit sector and beyond— relationships that
are needed precisely at this moment. As a school board member, I will leverage
every ounce of good will and think outside the box to ensure our educators and
students have what they need to expand and sustain our schools’ offerings.
Goals:
- Build broad coalitions across
Minneapolis and the state to expand funding for public schools at the
legislature
- Collaborate with local governing
authorities to expand support for MPS
- Fight to close cross-subsidy gaps
for special education and English language learners
Priority
3: Attract and retain more students in the district
About 20%
of eligible children in Minneapolis are enrolled in schools outside of the
district. The best way to improve the financial outlook for Minneapolis Public
Schools is to show more families that our schools are their best educational
options. Our school system is big, and as a MPS caregiver, I know that the
district feels a lot smaller when you see it from the community level. Schools
are successful when they center community needs and decision-making. I
support the growth of the Full Service Community School model in Minneapolis in
order to offers more opportunities for the neighbors to connect with each other
through MPS schools in culturally responsive, socially affirming ways while
improving outcomes and closing disparities.
Goals
- Invest in activities and
opportunities that position MPS schools as community hubs; embrace and
expand the Full Service Community School Model
- Research reasons Minneapolis
students choose schools outside the district and develop a data backed,
people centered responsive action plan to attract learners to Minneapolis
Public Schools
- Promote culturally responsive spaces
to ensure MPS is a destination district for all students
Priority
4: Develop a positive vision for MPS budget
Disinvestment
in people is not a winning strategy for our future. Minneapolis needs a positive budget vision
that includes expanded revenue through increased enrollment, strengthened
policy and funding at the state level, and authentic engagement of our
students, caregivers, neighbors, and the people working in our schools through
participatory budgeting and policy-making.
For too
long, the annual budget process has been a source of conflict and distrust. I advocate for a participatory district budget
process that embraces collaborative problem-solving, reframing the focus away
from adversarial positions and toward the shared project of addressing needs
together. This approach can strengthen
both our district and larger community by deepening engagement both with MPS
and each other. Our students,
caregivers, neighbors, and the people working in our schools every day hold
valuable insight and have a deep investment in our public schools. We need all voices at the table, all hands on
deck, not only to secure the positive gains educators and families have worked
so hard to achieve (like smaller class sizes and expanded support for special
education), but also to continue advancing investment of attention, energy, and
resources in our schools in the future. It takes all of us for Minneapolis
Public Schools to live the mission to “provide a high quality, anti-racist,
culturally responsive education for every Minneapolis student.”
Goals
- Be active in oversight for financial
division of MPS, ensuring our resources are managed with care and
transparency
- Contribute to new budget vision for
MPS, based in collaborative problem-solving, authentic engagement, and
possibility
- Pursue all avenues to increase
shared investment of attention, energy, and resources in our public
schools
Endorsements
for Christin Crabtree
Organizations
Minnesota
State Council
Minnesota
DFL Senior Caucus
Liuna! Minnesota and North Dakota
Take
Action Minnesota
Stonewall
DFL
AFL/CIO
Minneapolis Federation of Labor
Democratic
Socialists of America/Twin Cities
Moms
Demand Action (Endorsing Gun Sense Candidates)
CAIR
Action
Minneapolis
Families for Public Schools
Minneapolis
Federation of Educators
Minnesota
DFL
Individuals
………………………………………………………
“Christin
knows our public schools are the foundation for a thriving Minneapolis. She
will organize shoulder to shoulder with community members for the schools we
deserve. You don’t have to imagine what it would look like to have Christin
leading in our schools because she already is: She will make an incredible
school board director.”
— Ilhan
Omar, US House of Representatives
………………………………………………………
“Educated
and informed citizens are the basis of any functioning democracy. This
triumvirate of parent leaders is poised to ensure that MPS builds on its assets
and empowers all of our children to become the best versions of themselves.
That's why I am wholeheartedly endorsing Christin, Becca, and Shannon as our
next MPS school board directors."
— Keith
Ellison, Minnesota State Attorney General
………………………………………………………
“Christin
knows that a strong Minneapolis means strong public schools. From coordinating
mutual aid efforts to testifying at the legislature, Christin has a consistent
track record of organizing with the community to deliver results for students.
I am excited for her to bring her energy to Minneapolis Public Schools in a new
way, and proud to endorse her for Minneapolis School Board - At Large.”
— Zaynab
Mohamed, Minnesota State Senator, SD63
………………………………………………………
“As an
MPS parent, Christin Crabtree is exactly who I want leading on our school
board. As a State Senator, Christin’s organizing within Minnesota Families for
Public Schools was instrumental in helping me push through $10 million in
compensatory aid, including $1 million for MPS. Let’s elect Christin, and let’s
keep fighting to fund our schools together!”
— Doron
Clark, Minnesota State Senate, SD60
………………………………………………………
“Electing
Christin to our school board would add another strong voice for fully funding
public schools. As a member of the House Ed Finance Committee, Christin is the
exact type of leader I want to work with to advocate for Minneapolis Public
Schools at the capitol.”
—
Samantha Sencer-Mura, Minnesota House of Representatives, 63A
— Aisha
Gomez, Minnesota House of Representatives, 62A
………………………………………………………
“Growing
up in Milwaukee Public Schools, I experienced the impacts of the privatization
of education first hand. I wish leaders like Christin had been at the helm of
my public schools. As the City Council President, I look forward to joining
forces with Christin to ensure our students have the education they deserve.”
— Elliott
Payne, Council President
………………………………………………………
“Christin’s
dedication to our kids is unmatched. I’m ecstatic to work with Christin to make
sure our Minneapolis Public Schools have every resource they need. Christin is
already a leader in our community, and we need her leadership on the
Minneapolis School Board.”
— Angela
Conley, Hennepin County Commissioner
………………………………………………………
“I am
unbelievably excited that Christin is running for school board at large! She
has a gift for showing up for community, centering their needs, driving forward
action that brings people along – and she does it without compromising the
values of the people she aims to serve and help. She’s a talented organizer
that has shown up, even when she doesn’t have to. She stood up for our kids,
families, and educators without holding any titles.
She
doesn’t shy away when things get tough, actually that’s what makes her dig in
further. She will be ready on day one to be an excellent school board member –
because her experience is deep and her motivation to create a better community
for everyone is palpable. Vote for Christin Crabtree!”
— Aurin
Chowdhury, Minneapolis City Council Member Ward 12
………………………………………………………
“Christin
is a fighter who has always had the backs of our most vulnerable neighbors. She
understands that caring for our collective future means caring for all of our
kids.”
— Jason
Chavez, Minneapoois City Council Member Ward 9
………………………………………………………
— Soren
Stevenson, Minneapolis City Council Member Ward 8
— Aisha
Chughtai, Minneapolis City Council Member Ward 10
— Robin
Wonsley, Minneapolis City Council Member Ward 2
— Omar
Fateh, Minnesota State Senator, SD62
No comments:
Post a Comment